Re: [LI] Colour depth and VRAM

>>When you decrease the colourdepth, of course, for the same screen size,
>>don't you end up freeing Video memory which can be used for storing,
>>say,  another graphic screen? Like for another workspace. [Good idea : How
>>to  determine the number of workspaces in FVWM?]

of course  you are right, but color depths are the things which you get with
memory !
see ! the colours are mixup of RGB values corresponding to a pixel, so if
you have one bit per pixel then at most you can have two color
representation, as you will increase this you will be able to get more
values per bit. Am I right ? So these doesn't affects the end-user after 16
bit colours, and the case of GIF, it is always limited to 256 colours, and
256 colurs mean that you are having 1 byte per pixel, and not more than
that, you can store 256 combinations of the RGB values per pixel. so
sometimes you can get more colors on low resolutions, and for the multiple
desktop, I think there is no need to store the entire desktop in the v-ram,
you can store the pixel values in RAM and then you can copy the same after
you get the switch desktop command, I may be wrong ! if some one knows that
this is wrong please let me know !

-ajey

Ajey Y Gore
Technical Associate