[LI] Colour depth and VRAM

> toggle between resolutions.

Hi,

There are things I wonder about the resolutions we have been setting and
the way we have been trying to squeeze the last ounce of worth out of
what
video RAM we mount on the graphic cards. Colours, yes, everyone wants
colours.
But how much is sufficient? I am sure that monochrome sucks. 16 colour
looks
really bad. 256 colours pain the graphics [though these show you the GIF
files
and most of the graphics on the websites pretty well].

Then we have HIGH colour at 16 bit. And then TRUE 24 bit colours. And
true
colours at 32 bit. From my own experience, I have been able to give the
benchmarks
assigned in the first para. I am unclear about what use are colours when
the depth
is more than 16 bit.

1. Are we able to detect it with the eye on the monitor? Or on
   the printer?

2. Can anyone give me a firsthand feedback on what is not there to
   having 16.7 million colours on 800x600 pixels which is there on 32
bit
   colour depth. Distinguishable to us? Does the latter render the
gradients
   distinguishably better?

3. When you decrease the colourdepth, of course, for the same screen
size,
   don't you end up freeing Video memory which can be used for storing,
say,
   another graphic screen? Like for another workspace. [Good idea : How
   determine the number of workspaces in FVWM?]

Do think and let us all know.
Rohit