[LI] RE: Linux India and Debian

Dear Folks,

I hate to reawaken a declared dead thead, but here is my 2ps.

Apart from all the flaming or lack of on the topic of a Debian LUG / Mailing
list / whatever, shouldn't we spend some time to try to evaluate as to WHY
this came up? Khader and I have had lots of fun <as in good "old" fun>
pulling each other's leg on being a Debian / RH fan and vice versa. Now,
just to clear up something - I don't think it's more a matter of LI being a
RH list - it's just a matter of RH having higher visibility <in India and
otherwise>.

To put it mildly, I wrote my first Linux CD from IISc, with RH5.2. I didn't
choose - I had no idea back then abt distros. After that and PCQ / Chip 5.2,
6, 6.1, it's merely a case of having RH around and having folks who have
info on it. I have nothing against either Debian or other distro's.  I'd
honestly like to try other distro's to get a feel of them, but I just don't
seem to find them with any amount of ease. To note at this point, other mags
with other distro's other than RH seem to FAIL miserably.

Finally, I'd already posted on the LUG Blr list, a request of mine to share
exotic <!> distro CD's and other s/w on Linux so that folks can experiment.
I'd love to learn Debian - the point is how easy will it be for me? In terms
of everything - availability, resources <folks on LI?>, s/w, packages <RH
Sound config springs to the mind!>. Answer me, all ye who seek to throw
stones at RH?

To see the argument from the other side - fragmentation of LI <and thereby
implicitly Linux>  is even more scary than M$. Cause when brother fights
brother, all hell breaks lose. Let's not lose sleep over each other - there
are other things to think about! So, a mainly RH LI is fine, so long as
Debian newbies <like me?> are still welcome. The point really is not whether
Debian / RH is a better distro or whatever. In the words of Prof. G. on some
other unrelated stuff, but completely applicable here:
>that quality in code is elusive and ephemeral. It does not lie in the
sources per se, but in
> looking beyond it. The question is not whether your code works faster. The
question is
>whether it has a future.
Read the Debian / RH controversy in terms of the lines above. And then
smile, with Zen calmness, when you realize what you should realize.
We are the Source of the Power.
ReSourcefully,

    Gandalf Mithrandir   /* "Mobilis in mobile." */   gandalf@xxxxxxxxx
/*   Any Sufficiently Advanced Operating System is indistinguishable from Linux   */
// Do not meddle with SysAds for they are quick to anger and subtle in their ways //