Re: [LI] Linux India List optimizations?

Thaths, Folks

> If increasing the size of each digest is going to help, I am open
> to the idea.  But I don't see how it would cut down on the time
> you would spend reading the digests.

All users - run procmail on your box to split the digest into its
component messages and move them to a separate folder.

Better still, first grep for all instances of the list footer and awk
everything else into a single file, on which you can run the procmail
recipe to split the digest.

:0 :
* ^From:.*Automatic.*majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
| formail -I "To: linux-india@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" -ds \
>>$MAILDIR/linux-india

assuming the folder is called linux-india (check up first - am not too
good at procmail).  There might be something in the LI faq.

If you don't want to download the full stuff - have a remote mailbox
(from a free shell provider) and run grep / awk / procmail there.
Use this ONLY for subscribing to LI digest.

In this case, leave out the line

>>$MAILDIR/linux-india

from the procmail recipe.  Set a filter on your mailer to redirect all
mails from LI to a separate folder on downloading.  Read at leisure
(in your lunch hour say), after deleting threads you don't have the
least interest in.  Also, use your killfile to block particular threads
with the subject SiS6215 / Debian etc etc (to your taste).

[[use Pine (or other IMAP mua) to check your mail in case you
move mails to a separate folder on your remote mailbox]]

> Wilma threads the discussions.  But responding to a thread via the
> wilma interface is not easy.  Let me do some more reasearch on
> this when I have the time.

Search the wilma site - you should find hazaar hints re this.  Or
install a perl remailer script (careful, guard against security holes)

> [Off Topic]  DON'T USE scripts from Matt's Script Archive.  Some
> of the scripts there are badly written and have gaping holes.  The

[equally off topic <g>]

I'm only on the www-scripts@xxxxxxxxxxxx list and yes, I've seen
the flames there too.  However, I only use MSA formmail, which is
reasonably stable and secure.  The other scripts are being patched
too - so check again.  This Matt bashing is unwarranted now, imho.

>  I felt that it was useful to have The XF86Config for an Sis card
> archived.

With most of the formatting ruined?  Several mailers will wrap the
text, leaving junta a huge job.  Each LUG has a small webpage (at
least one on Tripod or somewhere).

Post the full file there, or just copy and paste the relevant part of
the XF86config / sendmail.cf or other file when posting to the list,
also include the URL.

> vation. The footnote could be appended at the end of the digest as
> usual.   Otherwise, this causes a lot of overhead in mails

Grep and Awk - which can be done at the user end as usual.  If you
are using a windoze mailer - well, too bad :-)

> Some of the old timers now only subscribe to their regional ILUG
> mailing list because they don't have the time to keep up with the
> volume of LI

Solution - sublists.  I suppose Atul won't mind if a small list called
debusers_india@xxxxxxxxxxx is created and inhabited by just the
debian users around?

No harm in such a list, there would be a few dozen users, and the
traffic would be rather light.  I've not seen this sort of fierce loyalty
in RH / Caldera users at least.  It would also take some of the load
off the LI list (which, like it or not, is chock full of redhatted folk)

Suresh Ramasubramanian
106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
Suresh@xxxxxxxxxxx | Suresh@xxxxxxxx
http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
Error Message for the day:
    Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue.