Re: [LI] ppp not so much of a miricle. Still more problems

Now we are talking about three completely different things:

>    Yes I got the net connection working. But heres how it goes.
> I start rhppp dialer. Choose vsnl, and click on start vsnl box.
> The modem dials vsnl and then handshakes. However it immediately hangs up
> and starts redialing, after which it succesfully logs on.

There *is* a problem with the RHL 6.1. pppd, but it had nothing to do with
your and Jeff's prolems. You are *now* highlighting it. The problem was
that the first connect did not work, but all subsequent ones do. This is a
recognised problem, and a new version of pppd is available for download to
fix it. Note that this does not fix the repeated failures to connect that
you and Jeff have been complaining about.

I suspect both you and Jeff have misconfigured something somewhere, and it
*could* be the authorisation issue I talked about yesterday. Putting
"noauth" into your /etc/ppp could solve that.

> ANother thing is that the connection is significantly slow in linux.
> Could some one tell me the mtu, mru settings that are ideal and where
> should I add these and how?

Linux slower than Windows - significantly? That's crock. My poor old 133
Mhz P1 server is faster on ppp than my 450 MHz P3 with 128 MB of ram
(if run under Windows). There is no such thing as "ideal" settings. You
need to R&D a bit with modem settings. One great way to prove this to
yourself is to use the M2 command to keep the modem speaker on throughout
the connect. You'll find that your "slow" connect is caused by frequent
retrains, pointing at bad modem init string settings. I force all my
modems down to 28.8K on non-V.90 connects - it is much faster than 33.6K
connects, because there are far fewer retrains.

One issue that *could* affect your speed is if compression does not work.
Try adding

alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate