[LI] ppp not so much of a miricle. Still more problems

Hello,
   Yes I got the net connection working. But heres how it goes.
I start rhppp dialer. Choose vsnl, and click on start vsnl box.
The modem dials vsnl and then handshakes. However it immediately hangs up
and starts redialing, after which it succesfully logs on. ANother thing is
that the connection is significantly slow in linux. Could some one tell me
the mtu, mru settings that are ideal and where should  I add these and
how?