Re: [LI] ppp not so much of a miricle. Still more problems

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Atul Chitnis wrote:

> Now we are talking about three completely different things:
>
> >    Yes I got the net connection working. But heres how it goes.
> > I start rhppp dialer. Choose vsnl, and click on start vsnl box.
> > The modem dials vsnl and then handshakes. However it immediately hangs up
> > and starts redialing, after which it succesfully logs on.
>
> There *is* a problem with the RHL 6.1. pppd, but it had nothing to do with
> your and Jeff's prolems. You are *now* highlighting it. The problem was
> that the first connect did not work, but all subsequent ones do. This is a
> recognised problem, and a new version of pppd is available for download to
> fix it.
Where? Redhat site?
> Note that this does not fix the repeated failures to connect that
> you and Jeff have been complaining about.
>
> I suspect both you and Jeff have misconfigured something somewhere, and it
> *could* be the authorisation issue I talked about yesterday. Putting
> "noauth" into your /etc/ppp could solve that.
>

> > ANother thing is that the connection is significantly slow in linux.
> > Could some one tell me the mtu, mru settings that are ideal and where
> > should I add these and how?
>
> Linux slower than Windows - significantly? That's crock. My poor old 133
> Mhz P1 server is faster on ppp than my 450 MHz P3 with 128 MB of ram
> (if run under Windows). There is no such thing as "ideal" settings. You
Well compared to Windows, I'm not too sure. My windows, speeds, are never
consistent. However compared to speeds I previously experianced in linux
(rh5.2). YES, the connection is slower. As you mentioned, I really have to
r&d my modem settings. But you still answer my question about mtu, mru
settings.

> need to R&D a bit with modem settings. One great way to prove this to
> yourself is to use the M2 command to keep the modem speaker on throughout
> the connect. You'll find that your "slow" connect is caused by frequent
> retrains, pointing at bad modem init string settings. I force all my
> modems down to 28.8K on non-V.90 connects - it is much faster than 33.6K
> connects, because there are far fewer retrains.
>
> One issue that *could* affect your speed is if compression does not work.
> Try adding
>
> alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
> alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
> alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate