Re: [LI] cannot run foxpro created exe through dosemu

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Rajesh Fowkar wrote:

> I get the following message when I run foxpro created exe file through
> dosemu.
>
> Phar Lap err 35: The 386 chip is currently executing
> in virtual 8086 mode under the control of another program.  You must turn
> off this other program in order to use 386¦DOS-Extender to run in
> protected mode.

DOSEMU is just that -- an emulator for good old real-mode DOS. Your binary
has a proprietary Phar Lab stub that tries to *extend* DOS by putting the
CPU into protected mode. Since the chip is already in
protected/virtual8086 mode, this fails.

I am not sure whether this will work, but you could try and report what
happens: Put $_dpmi=4096 in /etc/dosemu.conf. If the Phar Lap stub is
intelligent, it will find a DPMI server and use its services. I might add
that turning on DPMI services in Dosemu is considered to be a *major*
security hole and is deprecated.