[LI] Frequently Asked Questions

Hi all,

It seems that the subscribers count of linux-india has crossed 500. Most
of the large mailing lists and newsgroups usually keep a FAQ list, which
is maintained by a volunteer and posted to the newsgroup or mailing list,
or a pointer to a web site where the FAQ is archived is posted. Seeing
the number of queries here regarding SIS cards the appear with alarming
frequency and other problems which are repeated so often, I believe we
should also have a similar set of questions compiled and maintained at
the web site, with a pointer to it added to the footer of each posting.

I have made a simple outline for the FAQ, and here it is:

Introduction to Unix in general, and Linux in particular.
History of Linux.
Various Linux distributions.
Linux + Windows (95/98/NT)
Supported cards - List of display/ethernet/scsi/sound cards
Other hardware - printers, scanners, cdwriters etc.
Configuration issues - display, network...
Details about various ISPs in India, and their idiosyncrasies.
Basic system administration.
Network setup.
Samba
Apache/Squid
Programmers' tools - basically stuff that will be unknown to
	someone used to Windows IDEs (vim/emacs, make, gdb, rcs/cvs, indent...)
Other tools - Office suites (lyx should get a mention here)
Email/News clients.
Other email tools - procmail, formail, fetchmail...
Web designers' tools - HTML editors, HTML syntax checkers, gimp...
Engineering software - matlab, octave, gnuplot, xfig...
TeX and LaTeX
PHP3
SQL Servers
How to -
	1. Run a program at specified times?
	2. Run ftp from a script?
	3. Other common questions that pop up on the list
DNS problems
Firewalling fundamentals
Books and References
Anything else

I will volunteer to maintain it, but of course I cannot write the whole
thing.  People who are interested and want to contribute please suggest
additions/subtractions/modifications to the above outline, and we can
go ahead with it. I would say Jan 2000 will be a manageable target for
the release of this FAQ list.

Waiting for feedback,

Binand

--
#include <stdio.h>                                   | Binand Raj S.
char *p = "#include <stdio.h>%cchar *p = %c%s%c;     | This is a self-