Re: [LI] Config info

Aditya Deshpande forced the electrons to say:
> 1. When I had used Linux in kernel 1.2 days the text based interface could
> be given a certain font. How
>     is it done now.

The command to invesigate is setfont or consolechars.

> 2. Where is the documentation for the files in rc.d directory. I see a lot
> of reference to rc.d so i would like to read about it

The files in the rc directory are usually shell scripts, which the
init program runs when it enters a particular runlevel. For example,
if you look in the /etc/inittab file, you will find a line similar to
(specific to RHL):

l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 3

This tells init to run the program /etc/rc.d/rc with the argument 3 in
runlevel 3, and to wait till the execution of the program is over. (The
l3 tag is used by init internally to hash its initialization file).

There are a lot of other situations in which init can be specified to run
particular programs, see its documentation, and /etc/inittab for details.

These programs need not be in /etc/rc, but they are placed there by
convention (rc stands for Runtime Configuration, IIRC).

> 3. Which are the important configuration files alternately where can i find
> the info about the important configuration files in Linux.

Almost every configuration file in linux is found in /etc or /usr/etc,
and in their subdirectories. There you will find lots of program and
system configuration files.

> 4. I have the following book Red Hat Linux 6.0 unleashed.

I cannot comment on this book, as I haven't ever seen it.

Binand

--
#include <stdio.h>                                   | Binand Raj S.
char *p = "#include <stdio.h>%cchar *p = %c%s%c;     | This is a self-