Re: [LI] 2 distros, one computer

Atul Chitnis proclaimed:
> The problems I ran into were configuration files stored in the home
> directory - different distros use different versions of the same software
> - sometimes with different configuration items, paths, etc.

NIS combined with NFS is used to share home directories between unices here
are Netscape.  The trick is to have switch cases in your .tcshrc / .bashrc
files for the different unices (using uname -a).

All the user's home directories are on one of several NFS servers (I think
they use something like a Network Appliance RAID array).  There is a map in
NIS called auto.home that contains the name of the NFS server on which each
user's home directory is located.  On the unix boxes autofs / automount is
used to mount the home directory when a user logs in.

Thaths
--
   "English.  Pfft.  Who needs that?  I'm never going to England."
                      -- Homer J. Simpson