Re: GPL (Was Re: [LI] Switching to Debian)

Hi,
>>"Arun" == Arun Sharma <adsharma@xxxxxxxx> writes:

 Arun> QT 2.x is released under QPL (http://www.troll.no/qpl/)
 Arun> It meets the open source definition http://www.opensource.org/osd.html,
 Arun> but not Debian free software guidelines (someone correct me if I'm
 Arun> wrong here on DFSG)

        Actually, unless they chenged things recently (which_would_
 surprise me), the OSD was a copy of the DFSG, which has not changed
 since its inception.

        As far as I recall discussions in debian-legal, we did agree
 that QT 2.X was DFSG free. There were issues with KDE being dependent
 on older QT libs, and I have a vague feeling that tere are issues
 with KDE and QT 2.x still, modulo a rider being added to the licence
 for KDE (I understand that QT2, while DFSG free, is still not GPL
 compatible).

        Unless things change, Debian is unlikely to ship with KDE.

        Of course, since I have been off site for the last 5 weeks
 (which is when I last touched base with debian-legal), I could be mis
 remembering stuff.

        manoj
--
 Woke up this morning, don't believe what I saw. Hundred billion
 bottles washed up on the shore. Seems I'm not alone in being