Re: GPL (Was Re: [LI] Switching to Debian)

Arun Sharma wrote:

> Again, I don't think Shanu had an ulterior motive in saying that a
> package has to be GPL'ed in order to ship on the Debian CD. There are
> large chunks of code that are not GPL'ed and which are a part of any
> Linux distribution (Apache, sendmail, BIND, perl, python and even parts
> of the kernel). So guys, please be precise and do not equate GPL with
> open source or free software. You may think that I'm being a little
> picky here - but I think that this is an important distinction.

Hi Arun,
	I was under the impression that GPL=OpenSource=Free Software. Thanks
for enlightening me. Though i have read these docs (DFSG,BSD licence,
homesteading, GPL etc.) a couple of times, i still dont have a complete
understanding of its contents - Some of the stuff is really difficult to
digest!

	Thanx.
-- Shanu