[LI] [from O'Reilly] How Microsoft nearly ended up dominating the WWW

Rather interesting reading - at least to the MS bashers among us.

enjoy -
---s

Elbow Grease - the Webmonkey newsletter
http://www.webmonkey.com/

Thursday, 18 November 1999

The case against Microsoft has focused on how the company used
its dominant operating system to get a choke hold on the Web
browser market.

But Tim O'Reilly - that rascal! - has another tale to tell. This one
about how the monopoly was also attempting to control the Web
server realm. And it probably would've gotten away with it, too, if it
weren't for those pesky kids at Apache.

In this Salon article, O'Reilly (yeah, THAT O'Reilly, publisher of the
tech books with the random animals on the covers) explains how
close we came to a Microsoft-dominated Web and why that wouldn't
have been particularly great:

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/1999/11/16/microsoft_servers/

Suresh Ramasubramanian
106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
Suresh@xxxxxxxxxxx | Suresh@xxxxxxxx
http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
    Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind
    is beer.   I grant that the wheel was also a fine invention,
    but a wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.