[LI] XML? SML

I am a Linux enthusiast and programmer who lurks this list.
Forgive me the off topic nature of this post but I suspect
there is a significant sector of the LI programming community
who may have interest in XML (and SML).

A number of discussions have been going on in the eXtensible
Markup Language (XML) community. For background see:
http://www.w3.org/XML/

XML is currently in about the same place as HTML was in 1992 ...
and is believed by some to be the language of the Next Web.
Simple Markup Language (SML) is a radically simplified version
of XML that has recently entered the discussion.

Issues of internationalization (character encodings) and of the
importance of languages other than English are of substantial
importance to both XML and SML. Thus it seems important to
solicit opinions from the LI community.

Please email me directly if you are at all interested in
these questions.

Regards,

Robert E. La Quey, Ph.D.