Re: [LI] Connect to the Net

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Rajeev B.S.Rao wrote:

> > Well I have a GVC 33.6kbps modem and kppp easily detects it. As of such I

Your modem is supported well under linux.

> > don't think there is any difference between /dev/cua1 and /dev/ttys1.

RTFM - you want to read the PPP HOWTO to /usr/doc/HOWTO or at
http://linux-howto.org/

> COINCIDENCE!! same Modem. However I don't think that thats the problem.

Yes , its not the problem.

> Yeah, we could write to RH, but I doubt, with the number of mails they
> already get, we'd get a reply.

AFAIK , unless you bought a boxed linux set from RH for ~ Rs 3000 , you do
_NOT_ get 90 day email support from RedHat Inc.

> Please Please, somebody help us.

Before you figure out what PPP is and how it works with KPPP , I would
suggest you download and install wvdial and/or xisp
They're also available in August CHIP CD , November PCQ CD , Chip Linux
Special 2nd CD , and you can search for 'wvdial' at
http://www.freshmeat.net/ ; Also, if you were considerate enough to look
up archives of the list , you would note that root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ,
posted a mail about the URL ... worldvisions.net.ca/wvdial or something ,
don't quote me saying the URL is wrong , since I know it most likely is...
All i say is , check it out on freshmeat .

> > earlier, also failed. On telneting, it reported "Host name lookup
> > failure"

your name servers are broken (i suppose)

do this : edit/create file /etc/resolv.conf and make it look like this

search vsnl.net.in
nameserver 202.54.6.35
nameserver 202.54.1.10

> > > What do we do?

You/We learn to read HOWTO's , manuals , Instructions , READMEs , etc.
If you want to be content with checking a few boxes and hitting 'connect
to vsnl' buttons ,  stick to windows ,... AFAIK win 2 k has neato PPP
interface , enhanced networking options....the few hours that i've spent
w/ win 2 k pre release candidate 2 was far more enjoyable than with win
98. Stick to it if you're unwilling to read HOWTOs.

Ravi.