Re: [LI] Connect to the Net

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, RAVIKANT K RAO wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Rajeev B.S.Rao wrote:
>
> > > Well I have a GVC 33.6kbps modem and kppp easily detects it. As of such I
>
> Your modem is supported well under linux.
>
> > > don't think there is any difference between /dev/cua1 and /dev/ttys1.
>
> RTFM - you want to read the PPP HOWTO to /usr/doc/HOWTO or at
> http://linux-howto.org/
>
> > COINCIDENCE!! same Modem. However I don't think that thats the problem.
>
> Yes , its not the problem.
>
> > Yeah, we could write to RH, but I doubt, with the number of mails they
> > already get, we'd get a reply.
>
> AFAIK , unless you bought a boxed linux set from RH for ~ Rs 3000 , you do
> _NOT_ get 90 day email support from RedHat Inc.
>
> > Please Please, somebody help us.
>
> Before you figure out what PPP is and how it works with KPPP , I would
> suggest you download and install wvdial and/or xisp
> They're also available in August CHIP CD , November PCQ CD , Chip Linux
> Special 2nd CD , and you can search for 'wvdial' at
> http://www.freshmeat.net/ ; Also, if you were considerate enough to look
> up archives of the list , you would note that root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ,
> posted a mail about the URL ... worldvisions.net.ca/wvdial or something ,
> don't quote me saying the URL is wrong , since I know it most likely is...
> All i say is , check it out on freshmeat .

If you have read the earlier mails properly, you would see that I have
installed pcq nov 11 linux. I've also tried wvdial and it does not work!

> > > earlier, also failed. On telneting, it reported "Host name lookup
> > > failure"
>
> your name servers are broken (i suppose)
>
> do this : edit/create file /etc/resolv.conf and make it look like this
>
> search vsnl.net.in
> nameserver 202.54.6.35
> nameserver 202.54.1.10

Already done. Except I didn't existance of 202.54.6.35

> You/We learn to read HOWTO's , manuals , Instructions , READMEs , etc.
> If you want to be content with checking a few boxes and hitting 'connect
> to vsnl' buttons ,  stick to windows ,... AFAIK win 2 k has neato PPP
> interface , enhanced networking options....the few hours that i've spent
> w/ win 2 k pre release candidate 2 was far more enjoyable than with win
> 98. Stick to it if you're unwilling to read HOWTOs.

EXCUSE ME! I think that this kind of language is uncalled for. We're all
trying to make out way through the linux world. And the most important
aspect with any new (relative) OS is patience. And since you offered help,
we (I) are posting these letters. If perhaps you think that we are
wasteing your time, then do not participate. For your information, I've
gone through the HOWTOs. Either they solve a part of the problem only, or
the solution is too complex to understand. I'd post an example but I've
already wasted enough bandwidth. Besides, the number of Howtos, docs have
increased so much that finding the required one (in case of vague query)
is difficult. Maybe theres a search algorithm, but I havn't heard about
it.
Rajeev