[LI] Prob with X.

I had this problem of X taking very long to load up. I tried removing X and
reloading. I did rpm -e XFree*.rpm. It showed some errors about packages
requiring certain files. So I did rpm -e --force XFree86*.rpm.
On trying to reload X, I kept getting the message saying XFree .. package
already installed. All this even after doing rpm -e (specific XFree..rpm)
and even after a sync, reboot.

I finally reloaded the whole of rh 6.1 using the text mode. i ran XF86Setup
and got a server running. I had chosen following options fifo_conservative,
pci_burst_on, pci_retry after reading the readme file.

Now the problem:

I did this as root. I also made one non root user during the install.

Startx still takes over 4-5 mins to open, though after a reset, I actually
got the RH welcome screen in Gnome, though the mouse and keyboard are
*verry*  sluggish. I came out of X with a ctrl-alt-backspace and got the
following:

Xlib: Client is not authorised to connect to Server.

xscreensaver:    can't open display:  :0
xscreensaver:    initial effectic uid/gid was root (0/0)
xscreensaver:    running as nobody/nobody (99/99)

xscreensaver:    Errors at startup are usually authorisation problems.

S3VGEReset called from s3v_accel.c    line 299.

In root directory he following is the contents of the files.

.ICEauthority

AGIC-COOKIE-1
p^A(symbol for theta)1/2dd

.Xauthority