Re: [LI] Not connecting to Net

Jeffry,

>to be a problem with the pppd package I guess. But I'm attaching the
>PPP-logfile that kppp generated. See if anyone can figure anything out!
>
>Nov 11 20:38:14 host pppd[1436]: The remote system is required to =
>authenticate itself but I=0A=
>Nov 11 20:38:14 host pppd[1436]: couldn't find any suitable secret =
>(password) for it to use to do so.=0A=

Looks like you have some line in your /etc/ppp/options file that causes
pppd to assume that the peer (server side of your ppp link) is required to
authenticate itself. Ensure that directives such as "auth", "+pap", "-pap",
"+chap", "-chap" etc are not present in this file.

I don't use kppp for connecting - so not sure how it configures the various
files. In case you don't mind connecting from a text screen, here are the
scripts that I use.

a) /etc/ppp/options
-detach
modem
lock
defaultroute
crtscts
name uuuuuu
# Replace "uuuuuu" above with your username with your ISP
b) /etc/pap-secrets (replace uuuuuu by your username & ppppp with your
password with your ISP)
uuuuuu	*	ppppppppppp
c) /etc/ppp/dialler  (needs to be given execute permission)
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/chat -v TIMEOUT 3 ABORT 'BUSY' ABORT 'NO CARRIER' \
	''	ATZ 		\
	'OK'	ATDT172222	\
	TIMEOUT 60		\
	'CONNECT'	'\c'
Note that the "ATZ" can be replaced by your desired Modem init string (My
Init string is permanently stored into NVRAM of the modem ) and 172222 with
the appropriate telephone number.
d)/etc/ppp/pppon (needs execute permission)
#!/bin/sh
DIALSCRIPT=/etc/ppp/dialler
exec  /usr/sbin/pppd  /dev/modem 115200 connect $DIALSCRIPT
Now put a symlink to /etc/ppp/pppon script somewhere in your executable
path. (Or may be even move it to /usr/sbin or /usr/bin) so that you can
startup the connection without specifying the full path.

Of course you can have a pppoff script also which terminates the connection
by killing the pppd process. Or else you can simply switch off the modem !
(pppd will detect this and die)

For more details, read the PPP-HOWTO.

Kala