Re: [LI] Not connecting to Net

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Jeffrey Yep wrote:

> From: Rajeev B.S.Rao <rajeevr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> <snip?
> >    In answer to a previous mail by Shourya; no I cannot mail those
> > messages. I've reinstalled RH52 long since and have been happily using it
> > since then. But I do remember one thing, I could connect to the net using
> > minicom. I'd ring up 172222, enter username passwd, then exit without
> > resetting. After which I would execute pppd, and change default route to
> > ppp0. Well the method is long, but it's a sure method of connecting to the
> > net should you be unable to use the graphical ppp programs.
> <snip>
> Could you tell me how to use minicom? I did open its terminal but didn't
> know what to do after that! Thanks a lot.
>
> Jeff

Hi Jeff, It's a quite a tedious process but here it is.
1)start minicom, configure if necessary.
2)type 'atdt 172222' (dial vsnl number, I'm not sure if this works for
satyam
3)Enter Username, password when prompted.
4)Junk characters (the ppp stream) begins to appear on the screen)
5)At this point press contol-a + q. Minicom exits without resetting modem.
6)type 'pppd /dev/modem'
7)type 'route add -net default dev ppp0'.
The steps 5,6,7 have to be done as fast as possible, else the modem will
hangup.
Note however, that this process can be automated further using minicom and
batch scripts.

Rajeev