[LI] CHIP 6.0 --> PCQ 6.1

hi,
I just tried to upgrade my system from chip 6.0 to pcq 6.1
the upgrade rendered my properly configured and time tested ( 8 months )
installation useless and forced me to boot to windows .
 I faced the following problems
 1)  I chose the upgrade system installation, the upgrade script tried to
install new packages and would always abort due to lack of disk space .
Finally, when I saw that  the script  could not see that I wanted to
'upgrade' and not 'install' new stuff ( the new packages selected for
installation were not required to satisfy any dependencies) , I gave up and
manually selected the packages I wanted to upgrade .
2) After haggling with the upgrade script for over 2 hours , I could get
some installation underway . It took another one and a half hour that it
took to upgrade my modest installation of under 700 Mb .
3) After restarting I saw that my lilo.conf file had been overwritten and I
could no longer boot to my optimised kernel and all other boot images except
dos and linux as in the default installation, were gone.
4) Booting to the new kernel , even before I could login  was flooded with
errors saying "failed packet send ........"
5) A lot of the services which were installed but were not supposed to start
on start-up were started implying my rc scripts had also been fiddled with .
6) After logging in to my system , I tried to start x on my sis6215 which
till now was properly configured ,and as reported by others , I got a
blackened useless display .My XFree86config file was not modified,
indicating some problem with the new release of XFree86.
7) Most of all, Gnome was started ( kde is my default client) .After writing
a .Xclients file in my home directory directing X to start kde , I could
start kde. The usekde script previously available also had been deleted or
shifted to a new location.
8) All my shortcuts on the kde desktop were lost . All applications not part
of default kde packages could not find libraries icons for toolbars, etc
9) I tried to dial my ISP using kppp, my dialup script had been lost.
10) After this I tried to reconfigure my graphics card using Xconfigurator
and , in typical windows style the program just froze, ( in my 10 months of
linux experience this was the first time I saw a cli application freeze, I
had to login from another console and kill it ).

Any help to get my system to its pre -upgrade state would be really
appreciated. I can not do a fresh install as it would take me years to
reconfigure all the other stuff.

Anybody planning this sort of an upgrade watch out for all these problems ..

--
Karan Girotra
Department of Mechanical Engineering