Re: [LI] Net connection

On Sun, 07 Nov 1999, Anand Singh Bisen wrote:
> Hello
>
>     Hi ! I have recently installed redhat 6.1 from the CD-PC Quest and now
> wanted to connect to net using the same OS. It feels very bad that just for
> net surfing i have to come to Winblows 98. But even then there is not a good
> browser available for Linux.
>
>     The problem is i have a ethernet card also which i use to connect my
> system with the existing network of my hostel based on linux. Now in
> /etc/resolv.conf i have entered
>
> search .
> nameserver 202.54.1.30     (i.e. bom6 ip)
>
>     Now when i dial with Kppp and after giving login and password it comes
> pppd died unexpectiedly. Kindly help me because i have tried most of the
> things i could have.
>
>     And also tell me where can i find good ICQ client for linux. I mean
> which one should i use among the thousands available.
>
>     Thanks .
>

> anand singh bisen

Connecting to VSNL has been on this list many a times before.. you could
check the archives for a battery of solutions.
Alternatively one solid source of information is Atul's fantastic write up
on this issue in one of the back issues of PCQ.
You could surf over to the PCQ site , www.pcquest.com
albeit temporarily on Windows, download (save locally) the writeup (Check the
Linux section.. it is called "Online with VSNL", if my mem works OK) and you
shopuld be up and running.

However, if you have your modem settings OK, KPPP should run fine !
Have you setup KPPP ? The chat script in KPPP? What is your timeout ?
Enable the "Show Log" option in KPPP and tell us more if you
are still unable.

Hope to see you here riding Linux
Have a great time !
Shourya