Re: [LI] Anand Raman , Please help xwindows not starting

Hi Dhaval
There was nothing great which i did to make it work but yes it was cetainly a
trial and error version
I used the both the tools and manual editing to get the required resolution
1> Use the command line tool .. What is it called XF86Setup or XF86Config ..
2>   Use the GUI driven program.. The one plus point i have experienced using
this tool is that they help u know whether u will be able to run at that
resolution or not
3>    After the system is up and running i for the first time edited a few
parameters to get the default color depth i wanted

I find it strange that the tools dont always change ur config file to reflect
the changes u want
For eg i didnt find any of the setup programs adding a BoardName parameter in
the device section also some tools never mention the default color dept
parameter
It tends to be a bit frustating
Lemme suggest try to modify the following values in the xf86config file . One of
my friend was having al sorts of trouble running Trident AGP 975 card .. However
the changes made his Xserver come up .. The parameters are plucked from a mail a
few days back .. Quoting the same
Set the Device selection as per following in the XF86Config file and
hanging prob. will be solved.
Selection      "Device"
Identifier     "Trident 3DImage975 AGP (Generic)"
VendorName     "Trident"
  BoardName     "3DImage9750"
  Chipset       "3DImage975"
  VideoRam      4096
  Option        "noaccel"

regards,

Vaibhav

These options really work .. Apart from this i also founf solace by meddeling
with the DefaultColorDepth parameter in the screen section

Hope this helps
Anand Raman