[LI] wdm

Hi,

        I was installing slink yesterday and all went well. But I am not
able to login because wdm does not take any keyboard input. The mouse works
fine though, fwiw.

What I did was :
        (a) installed slink,
        (b) recompiled my kernel for sound support,
        (c) added entries to lilo.conf and re-ran lilo.( options for two
kernels, one with sound support and one without )
        (d) I did *not* modify /etc/inittab for an X login. I think the
runlevel is still at 2.

My problem :
        wdm starts at the end of the sequence, and asks for userid. It does
not take any keyboard input and so I am not able to do *anything*.

Etc info :
        (a) A default keyboard mapping is loaded during the startup,
/etc/kbd/default.map.gz.
        (b) Since I had no option but to push 'reset' and wait for a reboot,
i noticed the backspace key gives out those 4
        character junk on the screen when fsck is running during the reboot.
So the keyboard still is detected, right?
        (c) Yes, the keyboard works in Windows.
        (d) I have this problem in both my old and new kernels ( both
2.0.36 )

Thanks a million,

Gautam