Re: [LI] [Adminstrativa] Additional policies in place for the LI

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 09:12:00AM +0530, Raj Mathur wrote:
> I haven't yet seen a situation on the LI mailing list which requires a
> message to be signed.

True.

> And sending your PGP key in an e-mail to a public mailing list is
> pretty sort of oxygen-starved in any case.

Sure. People who send their PGP key in every message to the list deserve
to be shot. But PGP key != PGP signed message :)

In general, there are situations under which messages need to be signed.
In fact, most of the security related messages you forward to the list
are signed. A lot of list admins use PGP sigs to authenticate themselves.

So I don't see why someone who sends PGP signed messages to the list should
be punished. Similarly, if someone asks a question and someone else
responds: hey, try this config file A or try this patch B and sends an
attachment, that's a perfectly valid use of the list, IMO. Everyone on
the list benefits by being able to get a copy of the attachment verbatim,
by punching a key or clicking the mouse.

Sure, we could use uuencode or shar, but all those are cumbersome and
hard to use compared to MIME.

content (say no more stinking alternate HTML on the list), it is okay to
ban a wider variety of content (say vcards and PGP signatures) for
_practical_ reasons. However, we should be clear about the reason why
we did that instead of branding a perfectly valid practice evil, because
we don't have the tools to grok it.

	-Arun