Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:42:41 +0530
From: Bhyrava Prasad <prasadb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [LI] linux compatible notebook pc

Atul Chitnis wrote:

> The issue is not IBM's policy - the documentation has been available
for
> quite a while,

> This is sort of like the problem with the Xircom RealPort card I use -

> that wasn't supported earlier, either, but is now.

As far as I remember , both IBM and xircom refused to provide
the info for a long time. Same case with Matrox and Diamond.
Linuxers boycotted such products and Matrox was forced to release
the info.

How things have changed! Yesterday , ATI said they would support
an open source driver officially. Some time ago , 3Com did the
same thing.

Wish full USB support comes quickly too. That would be great
for newer laptops.

Incidentally , how is devfs?

- - B. Prasad