Re: [LI] KDE install on Deb.. How about this

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 08:59:27AM +0200, Kumar Cheetan A2 5 WIPRO consultant wrote:

>	Yea ofcourse that will help you get easly with the foregin
>	package, but
> on the other hand, think of a sutiation like person who hardly know
> to login and fire X to run netscape mailer, you can not expect him
> to open a "tgz" file to upgrade netscape, BUT ofcourse he will be
> maintaing his PC running a desktop version of RedHat. A packet maneger
> like rpm, with gnome-rpm OR glint, he will surly be able to upgrade
> his netscape, by click of mouse.. Got to think of the fact that Linux
> is also power-full and user-friendly Desktop OS

kpackage understands FreeBSD tgz files and can install them just as
easily as rpm/deb.

> I did not had any problem, in installing and upgrading any packages.. I
> could do that by click of mouse. And I think package maneger, are for
> users who just want to install and use the application and upgrade
> when necessary. Not for someone who like to compile the application
> from source. Does lines of code matter :-)

Sure, an application is installed more often than it is packaged. But
if creating a package is too cumbersome, there will be fewer packages
available.

Yes, number of lines of code does matter. The number of bugs is
directly proportional to the number of lines of code. Most Linux
mags use the number of lines in Win2k as a reason why people shouldn't
upgrade.

	-Arun