Re: [LI] KDE install on Deb.. How about this

> Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 21:22:17 -0700
> From: Arun Sharma <adsharma@xxxxxxxx>
> To: linux-india@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [LI] KDE install on Deb.. How about this
>
> On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 06:12:27PM +0200, Kumar Cheetan A2 5 WIPRO consultant
wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Just a wild thought, why can't one install RedHat packet maneger on
> > debian, OR debian packet maneger on RH.
>
> After looking at the FreeBSD ports system, I think both RH and Debian
> package managers are too complex. Yes, they offer additional functionality,
> but at a cost.
> FreeBSD packages are basically tar.gz files, with a couple of extra
> files describing the content. And building them is really as easy
> as building from source.

	Yea ofcourse that will help you get easly with the foregin package, but
on the other hand, think of a sutiation like person who hardly know to login and
fire X to run netscape mailer, you can not expect him to open a "tgz" file to
upgrade netscape, BUT ofcourse he will be maintaing his PC running a desktop
version of RedHat. A packet maneger like rpm, with gnome-rpm OR glint, he will
surly be able to upgrade his netscape, by click of mouse.. Got to think of the
fact that Linux is also power-full and user-friendly Desktop OS

> This way, if you get a "foreign" package, you can just untar it and
> possibly execute a few scripts manually.
>
> If you have ever tried to package a rpm (I haven't tried deb, but
> given the functionality I'd expect it to be similar to rpm), you know
> how much of a pain it is. If you've made a mistake in a patch or
> misconfigured something, you have to start all over again.

I did not had any problem, in installing and upgrading any packages.. I could do
that by click of mouse. And I think package maneger, are for users who just want
to install and use the application and upgrade when necessary. Not for someone
who like to compile the application from source. Does lines of code matter :-)

-Thanks
Chetan S

> Another pertinent point on the number of lines of code:
>
> FreeBSD package manager : 4000
> RPM: 40,000
>
> 	-Arun

_______