Re: [LI] KDE install on Deb.. How about this

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 06:12:27PM +0200, Kumar Cheetan A2 5 WIPRO consultant wrote:
> Hi,
> Just a wild thought, why can't one install RedHat packet maneger on
> debian, OR debian packet maneger on RH.

After looking at the FreeBSD ports system, I think both RH and Debian
package managers are too complex. Yes, they offer additional functionality,
but at a cost.

FreeBSD packages are basically tar.gz files, with a couple of extra
files describing the content. And building them is really as easy
as building from source.

This way, if you get a "foreign" package, you can just untar it and
possibly execute a few scripts manually.

If you have ever tried to package a rpm (I haven't tried deb, but
given the functionality I'd expect it to be similar to rpm), you know
how much of a pain it is. If you've made a mistake in a patch or
misconfigured something, you have to start all over again.

Another pertinent point on the number of lines of code:

FreeBSD package manager : 4000
RPM: 40,000

	-Arun