Re: [LI] dpkg install problems

RAVIKANT K RAO wrote:

Hi Ravi,

> 1 ] Apparently I dont have /usr/local/sbin and /sbin in root's PATH ... so
> how do I add that to $PATH ?

	Package management can be done only by root and not by users.

> 2 ] What do I do to the installation of KDE now ? Also, any tips ?
>  [ Like this redhat user told me to stick to using rpm -Uvh foo.rpm rather
> than the -ivh switch , because if the package wasnt installed , it woul
> get installed now , and if the same version was already installed ,it
> wouldnt do anything ... while on using the -ivh switch while the same
> version is installed ... would result in losing all your files relating to
> the package and you have the same thing installed all over again ..  - are
> there any similar things with dpkg ? ]

	When ever u install a package, dpkg does a dependency check and reports
all failed dependencies. That is what happened when u installed
kdenetwork without satisfying the dependencies. So, first install all
the dependency packages (qt,kdesupport,etc) first and then the main
package (kdenetwork,kdegraphics etc).

	Try installing in this order...

1. dpkg -i qt
2. dpkg -i kdesupport0g
3. dpkg -i kdelibs2g
4. dpkg -i kdebase
5. dpkg -i rest_of_the_kde_debs

	Normally, when a dependency check fails, there is no need to re-install
the package again. Run dpkg -C to get a list of all installed but
unconfigured packages. After installing the various support packages,
run dpkg --configure --pending or dpkg --configure foo

	If you are upgrading to a newer version of a packge, just run dpkg -i
foo_newversion.deb. Dpkg will replace the older version with the newer
version.

	I hope u have an idea of dpkg now!

-- Shanu