[LI] re. Outlook Express2000

Hi All,

I read a msg some time back abt outlook express 2000 on LI.  i forwarded the
msg to one of my friends to show him how useless MS products were.  This is
what i got in reply.  Note that i have nothing to do with this msg and that
I'm linux crazy just like u guys.  So if anyone can comment on this mail, i'll
be more than glad to forward it to him.

Adityan

Hi,

1. Outlook 2000 is NOT designed as an upgrade from OE 5.0 After you setup
Outlook 2000, you have to specifically tell it to import all information
from a previous program...it can import any PST (Microsoft's proprietary
format for personal email folders and contact info), comma separated
values (CSV) as also the standard Netscape formats. All you have to do is
look around a bit before doing something rash like that guy.

2. NEVER try upgrading from one product to another without backup. That's
a basic rule you have to adhere to on any operating system. OE will allow
you to save the whole message tree along with the contact list to a single
backup file.

3. Windows 2000 is NOT designed for the average user and an average
system. That was micro$oft's original intention but they gave it up the
moment they realized they can't keep the cake and eat it too. Instead, as
of Beta 3, Win2000 is officially a complete replacement for WinNT for the
office networks and as a new OS for power users. Windows Millenium is
Micro$oft's answer to people who wonder what's gonna happen to the whole
win9x line. Millenium is now in pre development stage...I have seen one
build and it looks pretty good. They have re-done the whole kernel and
other subsystems to reduce size and improve performance. The OS is
designed with some new technology self-healing programs that automatically
detect missing/corrupt files and get new copies of them.

4. It might be interesting to note that Micro$oft has a working 64-bit OS
that's already in alpha stage, working on Intel's IA-64 architecture on
their new Merced line of 64 bit processors known officially as the
Itanium. When this platform comes out, we can expect Micro$oft to drop all
their 32-bit stuff like a rock.... ie. Win2k, win9x, winnt all go out the
door soon enough.

5. You have to be on crack to run a 300 Mhz Celeron on 32 megs of RAM. If
the same person were to take that up to 64 megs, win98 will still crash
once in 3 days if you leave it up 24hours a day (trust me, I've tested
these things all of last year). I added an extra 64 megs of RAM to take my
laptop's total to 128. Now, even in 98, I have no problems at all wrt
crashing etc. Windows 2000, is designed for a minimum of 64 megs of RAM
for Professional, 128 for Server, 256 for Advanced Server and 512 for
Datacenter (Datacenter is still in Beta 1 I think). I have Release
Candidate 2 (which is build 2128) and that is pretty stable for prerelease
software). Beta 3 is not worth installing today on any machine as it will
not let you upgrade from Beta 3 to win2000 final. You have to get either
of RC1 or RC2 or RC3 to be able to upgrade to the full version.

Hehe, Looks like I've been rambling on for quite a while now....this is
just constructive criticism against whoever wrote that original email you
sent me.

Cheers,
xxx