[LI] hdc: lost interrupt

Salam folks,

And now the error is creeping up when I do

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt

hdc: lost interrupt

The disc is spinning at very high speed. The drive is a Philips that
supports UDMA-2 and when I pry open the tray during this hot action, some
I/O error messages are thrown to the console containing strings like

DMA: Disabling

Is it the high-speed + UDMA-2 nature of the ROM that is puzzling the system?

The same error condition repeated itself when I tried to install Slackware
off its CD. But after much waiting (letting the disc get hot) finally the
setup script moved further.

Can someone help or gimme a pointer that solves the problem?