[LI] debian problems...

hi there,
  after a 2 hour installation of debian, i was wanting to edit
/etc/lilo.conf and discovered that pico was non-existent (?!) ... Did I do
something wrong during install time or does Debian not come default with
Pico ? Also , Could anyone give me any pointers with using Debian ? For
instance , in my RedHat , I used the Xconfigurator to configure my X and
I could successfully probe my videocard and I had a lovely SVGA X Server
running , while from Debian , the X-Probeonly doesnt achieve anything
useful.
  Also, how do I configure my touchpad - on a laptop , compaq armada 1700
- ... I remember it worked fine on redhat.. things like mouseconfig ,
config , setup etc... one or more of which worked on my redhat box dont
quite seem to work on debian...
  Now this isnt to start weird distro wars ... but only 6 hours into
Debian , i'm wondering if just 2 month's exposure to linux , primarily
redhat ,....is enough to get working on a debian m/c...
  And how would i setup multiple linux distros on my box ? I have 4.3 GB
and would appreciate any guidance.
  I intend re-vamping my system with RedHat 6.x from November PCQ , Debian
2.1 that I have , win 2000 or 98 or something ... what would be the
optimal partition sizes , what order would i install stuff and so on? Is
there any Debian - Specific Textbook that I need to lookup to understand
this distro or would any normal textbook on linux suffice...  ?
  Thanks.
- ravi.

---
ravikant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx