Re: [LI] Duplicate emails...

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:

> I don't know.  The Shanu double-email thing was all I looked at.  Will
> investigate further.  The double mails used to happen when I used to
> restart my MTA.  But I haven't touched sendmail in ages.  So wonder why it
> is happening.

I suspect timeouts in delivery of mail to lists.linux-india.org causing
this. If you look carefully at the headers, you will find that the
*originating* message ID remains the same, but the message ID as received
by your machine differs. This means the same message was accepted twice by
your machine. This probably means that the delivery failed the first time
due a timeout (probably at the last confirmatory stage) from the *sending*
machine's perspective, but by then *your* machine had already accepted the
message.

I suggest we start adjusting the MXs for your machine because messages
from India via VSNL's "Information foothpath" tend to have a tough time
delivering to a relatively slow machine in the USA, causing such timeouts.

Atul