Re: [LI] XF86_SVGA server with generic chipset

On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 06:22:40PM +0530, Archan Paul wrote:

> What is ur opinion [Atul,  Arun, Indra (ILUG-CAL), MANI]?? Hope for
> something positive.

You should try getting hold of the sources for the Xserver and try
going through them or doing a compile.

My opinion is that it's not the most well written program in the world.
But if they pull off everything that they promised - One X server and
modules published as shared libs for each graphics card, then our job
comes down to writing one such module using only documented VGA calls.
This should be happening in XFree86-4.0, which is in beta I think.

Does anyone have a pointer to VGA documentation ?

Also, given that everyone's time is limited, you might want to think
about the best use of your time. What do  Free UNIXes need today ?
A new X server or a whole bunch of stable, usable apps ?

Another interesting development for programmers lurking around on the
list - KDE folks are dumping CORBA and going for a COM like shared lib
based modularization technique. If any of you went through the pain of
Downloading several 10s of MBs of KDE 2.x through CVS and compiling them
and then finding that CORBA is dog slow, you'll appreciate the wisdom.

Mozilla has already been using such a framework for 5.0. But somehow it
hasn't caught up much in the free software community (Is it the
nsSomethingOrTheOther names that ticks off UNIX purists ? :-)

	-Arun "Waiting for my Redhat 6.1 CD" Sharma

Quote for the day from a year ago (Comdex Nov 98):

"I don't have a financial incentive to answering that question"
- Steve Ballmer, Microsoft President, when he was asked if he was
sure of the pronunciation of Linux.