Re: [LI] XF86_SVGA server with generic chipset

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Arun Sharma wrote:

> A rough answer to that question is: there is a common specification
> that all video cards stick to and that is why the "generic" config
> works. But when you want fancier features and higher resolution, all
> video cards have their own way of doing it, which is why you need a
> special X server for each chipset or family of chipsets.

As an aside - has anyone checked out the QNX demo disks? They have a GUI
that works on *any* VGA-compatible card. Their approach is radically
different - instead of writing for specific cards, they create a flat
graphic environment using only documented VGA calls, and the results are
really impressive - full graphics on *any* card you throw it at.

Maybe we should be looking at something like this in the future for X - it
won't be blazingly fast, but it will take care of that icky "X won't work
on my system, and hence I cannot use Linux" problem.

Atul