Re: [LI] XF86_SVGA server with generic chipset

On Wed, Aug 11, 1999 at 09:57:20AM +0530, Archan Paul wrote:
> Can anyone give me a clue why XF86_SVGA server works in 320x200 resolution
> when the chipset is configured as "generic" at the configurationfile.

A rough answer to that question is: there is a common specification
that all video cards stick to and that is why the "generic" config
works. But when you want fancier features and higher resolution, all
video cards have their own way of doing it, which is why you need a
special X server for each chipset or family of chipsets.

	-Arun