[LI] Diskless nodes

I spent one whole day trying out to do a diskless boot using two computers.
I had downloaded etherboot-4.2 from linuxberg.com. I have NE2000 pci clone
(Ready Link) network cards. I created the boot floppy (the code in this boot
floppy will finally go on to the eprom for a diskless boot). I also did all
that was mentioned in the doc's regarding setting up the server for 'bootp'
and 'tftp'. However when I booted with the floppy, it hung with the message
'probing NE2000...'.

After a lot of time spending doing many things I happened to find the
following in the Makefile for the code creating the floppy.

#If you have a Compex RL2000 PCI 32-bit (11F6:1401),
# and the bootrom hangs in "Probing...[NE*000/PCI]",
# try enabling this fix... it worked for me :).
# In the first packet write somehow it somehow doesn't
# get back the expected data so it is stuck in a loop.
# I didn't bother to investigate what or why because it works
# when I interrupt the loop if it takes more then COMPEX_RL2000_TRIES.
# The code will notify if it does a abort.

eureka! my problem is listed and a fix is talked about. However I could not
find any further information in the Makefile.

any ideas?

Mani.