[LI] Linux India participation at Bangalore IT.COM

All:

It is with great pleasure that I announce that Linux India will have a
stall at Bangalore IT.COM 99, November 1-5, in the (where else?) Linux
Pavilion, under the motto "SEEING IS BELIEVING".

The stall is sponsored by PC Quest as part of their Linux Initiative, and
will be manned and operated by Linux India members.

Here are the details:

- - The stall will be Linux India, sponsored by PCQ. There are no strings
  attached other then requests for good behavior (details below) and that
  Linux gains all around.

- - The size of the stall will be 100 square meters.

- - Purpose of stall is to showcase Linux. The space will be used to
  demonstrate the capabilities of Linux and to educate people about Linux,
  and not to run down other operating systems or for a distro comparison.

- - The stall will be wired with a 25-node 100 Mbps network.

- - PCQ will bear costs of stall design and network setup along with stall
  costs, support material such as T-Shirts, etc.

- - Qualifying Vendors (those with Linux-based machines) will be offered
  a few nodes on a first come first served basis. However this space
  cannot be used to make a sale pitch for products (this can only be done
  from their stalls in the Linux Pavilion). The purpose is to show,
  in one place, the vast amount of support and platforms enjoyed by Linux.

- - Exception to the above is that PC Quest November issue (which is Linux)
  and possibly PC Quest subscriptions will be on sale (which seems fair).

- - Representatives of PCQ and LI will together decide the show contents.

- - Contents will take into account suggestions form the entire community,
  via this list.

- - Installation demos / small tech sessions -- we need to discuss this.

- - PCQ and Linux India have requested, and the organisers have provided an
  exclusive deal for small Linux vendors. Only in the Linux pavilion,
  smaller stalls will be available (5 square metre instead of minimum 9
  sqm) at 30K instead of 54K INR.

- - Should any other publication come forward and offer sponsorship within
  the next couple of days (we have 4 weeks left) then it would mean either
  a separate stall, or a combined effort with PCQ (which seems unlikely).

This proposal was discussed with the members of ILUG-BLR during the last
meet and the above reflects what has been accepted by the group, and
incorporates their suggestions. KD played Devil's advocate and made sure
that it was fair to all.

A formal press-release by Linux India should be made ASAP. We need to
broadcast PCQ's involvement to attract more people into the exhibitor
list.

The burden of executing this show will be basically on ILUG-Bangalore
because of the Bangalore-centric nature of the event, but we want the
whole community to be involved with suggestions and discussions. We would
also *highly* appreciate support and presence by people from outside
Bangalore.

Gurunandan Bhat from the University of Goa has (been) volunteered to be
there for all five days (apologies to Gurunandan for letting him know this
late in the day about his momentous decision), so that makes it our first
confirmed out-station LI member to be there to help educate the masses.

Raj Mathur not only will be there, but carries the honor of being
responsible to a good part for the first big name in the Linux Pavilion -
SGI has confirmed their presence with a large stall. (Applause!)

We are waiting to hear from IBM, Sun, Oracle, Intel, Computer Associates,
Compaq/Digital, Wipro, HCL, Hughes Software, SAP, MRO-Tek, C-DAC and other
big names in the Linux universe about their decision to participate in the
Linux Pavilion. If any of you know anyone in these companies, please talk
to them and ensure that they do not miss out being part of this event.

Nikhil Datta (ye of PCQ Linux project fame) will be there too - IIM
Calicut will have to do without him for a few days.

With my frequent traveling, my wife asks me to point out that I
technically qualify as an out-station visitor, too..... :-(

Jessie is already hard at work getting TV coverage in place. She has
already got confirmed coverage from CNBC's IT Hour, and is working on
the other channels. Star TV is an official partner of the event, so be
prepared for some major coverage.

PCQ looks forward to getting to see and write about all the good stuff to
be seen in the Linux Pavilion (I *knew* there was a catch here ;-). Since
anyone who exhibits in the Linux pavilion will be constantly exposed to
PCQ's coverage, we can expect a lot more people to show interest in
exhibiting in the pavilion.

We have *exactly* 4 weeks left for the event. We plan to have a dry run of
the stall at the next ILUG-BLR meet (23-Oct). PCQ and ILUG-Bangalore will
meet several times beginning on the 7th of October to make sure that
things will fall in place. Details of these meetings will be on the
Bangalore list.

Note: ILUG-Bangalore members, please ensure that you are subscribed to the
main Linux-India mailing list for this. Only logistical issues will be
discussed on the ILUG-Bangalore list, all other issues will be on the main
Linux India list.

Let's make this an eye-opener for corporate India that they will *never*
forget.

This thing is now open to discussion about content of the show and
presentation.

May the Source be with us all.

Atul

Atul Chitnis     | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (PGP:6011BCB8)
C&B Consulting   | http://www.cbconsulting.com
Bangalore, India | +91(80)3440397 Fax +91(80)3341137