[LI] Fwd: TIPOMATIC Linux Tip of the Day - Tuesday September 21, 1999

CD-ROM ACCESSIBILITY

If your Linux system has a CD-ROM drive, it usually will be
mounted on the device: (/dev/cdrom). By default, this
device is not accessible to all of your users. To allow
users to mount the CD-ROM drive, login as root and execute
the following command: (chmod a+r /dev/cdrom).

This will allow any user on your Linux system to mount the
CD-ROM drive from their console or desktop.

Hi,

Can anybody tell me why the above mentioned TIPOMATIC  TIP is not working on my
desktop. After doing chmod a+r /dev/cdrom from su, I am still getting the
message

mount: only root can mount /dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom

if I try to mount CDROM from my user login.

I am using Red Hat 6.0 from Chip CD.

Thanking in advance.

- --
Shriram alias Rajesh Fowkar

Kurtarkar Nagari, Bldg-C,
Flat No. T4 Third Floor,
Shantinagar(Santacruz), Ponda - Goa - 403 401.
Phone : (0834)315932
Email : rfowkar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx