[LI] Lists - try and understand how they work

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Mrs N P Salaria wrote:

> Can anyone give me the exact instructions for unsubscribing
> I tried it number of times according to the earlier instructions
> nothing seems to be working, I am still getting the mails

I checked the list of subscribers after the first few unsubscribes
following the nasty F thread. BTW - thanks to all those who helped deplete
the number of subscribers here by starting and sustaining this distasteful
thread :-(

None of the people who complained were still in the subscriber lists. This
includes the infamous sjcurous, Mrs.Salaria, etc. This means that their
first unsubscribe probably worked.

The reason why they were still receiving mail from the list is because
there was already mail queued up for them. This is the way things work -
the messages will *eventually* stop coming, but expecting the flow to stop
instantaneously is wishful thinking. Because of the way many of you treat
your email accounts (going over quota is the most common one), many
messages actually make to your mailboxes only on the 3rd or 4th attempt at
delivery - sometimes days later.

Thaths - how about posting an abstract of the bounce log so that people
can understand just what you have to deal with here?

Atul