Re: [LI] <newbie> Problems

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 07:37:39PM +0530, Ravi Rao wrote:
> Hi,
>   If I do a :kde , I get the following errors :
> ------
>   kcontrol : Cannot Connect to X server
Hello there,
I suggest you put kde in your .xinitrc and try startx
> boot into X straight away... Normally...I get the shell prompt and have to
edit /etc/inittab and change the line
id:3:initdefault:      to
id:5:initdefault:

>   I get a couple errors with httpd and what settings do  I plug in for
> domainname , hostname etc?
>   My Resolution is bad - have been unable to configure successfully with
> xf86conf file ... Any pointers ?
I think you should try Xconfigurator for better resolutions
>   metalab.unc.edu/LDP didnt help me too much wrt these stuff..
> telix... - I *could* connect on kppp as well... I got the post terminal dial
> but my netscape refuses to open webpages or IRC client refuses to connect
> etc...basically no connectivity... And one last thing....If  i connect using

I guess that is a DNS problem. remove the DNS server setting in kppp and
it will use your default from /etc/resolv.conf

> login root ... could i browse with other logins which are not su ? Are all

Yes of course connect using root and even users can browse. but remember when
you log out, even kppp closes and disconnects. So,for this situation minicom
suits.

> error messages in /etc/messages or so ? have been unable to trace that
the messags are in /var/log/messages

> too... Also , If you could suggest a < Rs 400 textbook / guide / manual to a
Maybe Linux unleashed by Oreilly Publishers can help you.

Regards
- - Khader

Winners don't do different things, they do things differently

UNIX, M$-DOS, Windows
Also known as
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Syed Khader Vali - sidcarter@xxxxxxx