[LI] <newbie> Problems

Hi,
  If I do a :kde , I get the following errors :
- ------
  kcontrol : Cannot Connect to X server
  kaudioserver : Can't connect to the X server
  kaudioserver : Audio system might not terminate at the end of the session
  kwmsound : Cannot connect to X server
  kpanel : Cannot connect to X server
  krootwm : Cannot connect to X server
  kwm : Cannot connect to X server
  kfm : Cannot connect to X server
  kbgndwm : Cannot connect to X server
- -----
  man pages werent helpful ; I can run the GNOME desktop perfectly well .
  Any comments ?
  Also ,  this might sound trivial to you . but how do i configure my box to
boot into X straight away... Normally...I get the shell prompt and have to
do a  manual startx do boot X ...
  I get a couple errors with httpd and what settings do  I plug in for
domainname , hostname etc?
  My Resolution is bad - have been unable to configure successfully with
xf86conf file ... Any pointers ?
  metalab.unc.edu/LDP didnt help me too much wrt these stuff..
  Also , I connect comfortably on minicom - 'prolly 'cause I'm used to
telix... - I *could* connect on kppp as well... I got the post terminal dial
up screen and i put in username/pw and logged in and Status : Connected ....
but my netscape refuses to open webpages or IRC client refuses to connect
etc...basically no connectivity... And one last thing....If  i connect using
login root ... could i browse with other logins which are not su ? Are all
error messages in /etc/messages or so ? have been unable to trace that
too... Also , If you could suggest a < Rs 400 textbook / guide / manual to a
beginner....which i could buy in madras...would be terribly thankful.... For
your reference...I run RHL 6.0 off CHIP Aug 99 .
  Thanks In Advance , Best Regards.
  . Ravi Rao .