[LI] glibc & Motif

Hi All,

This would be a lengthy one. We have a serious problem here.

We use RH6 (glibc 2.1.1, Motif 2.1.10). While doing a portal activity to RH6,
we found this problem which seriously affect the work.

When we run our build script (which compiles and links various components to
give a executable), we get the following error.

/usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a(XpmRdFToI.o): In function `OpenReadFile':
XpmRdFToI.o(.text+0x159): undefined reference to `_IO_stdin_'

i.e, the linker is unable to resolve the reference of symbol _IO_stdin_
in the above said Motif libraries.

On digging lot of manuals, glibc source files, we found that in
GLIBC 2.0 , the global variables are _IO_stdin_ and et al, but in GLIBC 2.1.1,
the global variables were changed to _IO_2_1_stdin_
This change has caused a lot of problems. Thus indicationg that Motif libraries
have to be compiled using GLIBC 2.1 onwards.

Here is a bit of text from Red Hat errata on Motif 2.1

 " Motif libraries compiled against glibc 2.0 will not work when
 built against glibc 2.1 because of one particular upgraded
 interface.  Applications built against motif on a Red Hat Linux
 5.2 (or other glibc 2.0-based system) will work on Red Hat
 Linux 6.0  You can build Motif applications with older Motif
libraries by using the "compat" packages included as part of
 Red Hat Linux 6.0."

But the Motif version (2.1.10) we are using is said to have been compiled on
GLIBC 2.0+

So if we have to make our product work, we need to use the Motif libraries
compiled on GLIBC 2.1.1 or use older Motif libraries using 'compat' package
of RH6.0

The linker is unable to reference the symbol _IO_stdin_ in this environment
because it is probably replaced by _IO_2_1_stdin. Am I correct?

If I want to use the older version of Motif libraries, I need to use 'compat'
package. can anyone tell me how to use it, also is the 'compat' for whole
component (Motif as whole) or only few libraries of Motif?

I know this sounds a bit tricky but it would be of great help if any one could
look into this.

Any workaround suggested??

TIA
Sai