Re: Problems(?)/features(?) in Chip special RH 6.0

hi ganesh,
i have been using CHIP CD Linux 6.0
it i sworking fine no problems.

    Ganesh>   1. I have installed RH 6.0 from CHIP linux.  It was
    Ganesh> working for 2-3 days.  Yesterday it was giving error for
    Ganesh> even logging. Then I tried booting with "linux single" and
    Ganesh> saw the problem of /lib/security/some*lib.so not found.

i cannot say much abt this except this i am not facing.

    Ganesh>   2. Another important thing is there is no LDP
    Ganesh> Documentation at all.  (i.e., HOWTO directory under
    Ganesh> /usr/doc/).

yes this is one thing i noticed. but it is present in the CD. all u
hav eto do is mount it and copy it to ur drive.

    Ganesh>   3. There is no ipfwadm for firewall.  But people told me
    Ganesh> that ipfwadm is changed to ipchain.

ipchains i am using it is quite simple.

    Ganesh>   4. In earlier versions, we can have ids without any
    Ganesh> passwd. i.e., we can delete the password field from the
    Ganesh> /etc/passwd file.  There is only one character (x) is
    Ganesh> presented in the password field.  I deleted it, even then
    Ganesh> it is asking password for that particular account. Is this
    Ganesh> is new security feature they have added in 6.0?

it uses the shadow password concept where it stores the paaswords in
a different file.

    Ganesh>   5. In pppd, after connecting to the ISP it is giving
    Ganesh> errors like can't locate ppp compress module 21, 22 & 23.

i cannot comment.

    Ganesh>   6. If you mount the CDROM with mount /mnt/cdrom, it's
    Ganesh> saying Kernel panic.... insmod.....

i am not facing any such problems. But i guess this might be because
of ur kernel.

    Ganesh> Any suggestions/solutions for these. Either I should go
    Ganesh> back to my older PCQ version 5.2 or I should wait till the
    Ganesh> PCQ releases it 6.0 version. Because, I never faced these
    Ganesh> kind of problems in the PCQ CDs. Hats off to PCQ CDs, PCQ
    Ganesh> Project and of course, to the PCQ teams.

overall i am completely satisfied with this CD. Ofcourse i am not a
power user. i use it for fun only. But it is stable. maybe some of the
gurus here can help you.

regards
prateek

  *** There is never a can or a can't but always a will or a won't ***
Prateek Sadhukhan, [Software Engineer],
Hughes Software Systems Ltd.,INDIA.[Off.Tel.:+91-124-346666(Ext:2924)].