Re: RE:TECH INFORMATION

Hi,

Thats tough. The benchmarks are available but you would need to check
specifics. For eg. Samba performance, Http serving etc. the whole question
of benchmarks can however be quite a thorny issue since NT and Linux
both have their own optimizations for different hardware settings and
varies remarkably based on the Linux kernel used etc.

NT is slower on static HTML serving but seems to enjoy a speed advantage
with dynamic content generation - this is with apache on Linux. NT is also
faster when it has multiple network cards  - quite a bit faster actually, as
compared to Linux.This is true of when the HTML is being served across
a lan using a network card - however when the HTML is being served via
a dialup as in a typical Internet scenario, Linux seems to be faster.

My suggestion - stay clear of any benchmarks. I have seen remarkably
different results coming from different sources and sometimes on remarkably
similar configs. Look at it this way - Linux does everything NT does and
then
some more and it is continuosly improving. Also it is difficult to go by
benchmarks
because each kernel release seems to give a different benchmark value.
The latest Linux kernels, especially 2.2.10/11, addresses threading,
synchronization issues much better and these kernels are therefore quite a
bit faster on the same config and seems to work best when the load is high.
And yes 2.4 is round the corner - hmm ! :-) Man! I am sure it will be faster
- - much faster.

Regards,
Prem