This page best viewed with Lynx

Hi,

I don't know how many of you people out there use Lynx for browsing
the web, but I use it a lot, for many reasons:

- - It's wonderful on slow links

- - You don't need to load X to run it (and I do most of my work out of
X)

- - It's lightweight (atleast compared to the OTHER heavyweight browser)

- - Quick startup time

- - And I guess lots more.

So far I'd been using it and internally complaining that it wouldn't
let me view anything except text-type files.  Then I discovered these
few programs and features which make life so much easier:

- - Zgv: allows you to view graphics on the console.  Handles JPEG, GIF,
PBM, tons of formats and uses SVGALIB.

- - Ghostscript: if compiled with the appropriate drivers, renders
PostScript and PDF documents on the console using SVGALIB.

- - The lynx.cfg file, which allows you to tie all these programs into
Lynx and let it handle all sorts of mime types.

Now I've configured my Lynx to automatically convert all graphics on a
page to links and download and display any I choose with the click of
a button (yeah, Lynx does mice also, didntcha know?).  No more waiting
3 minutes for Netscape to load up just to hit userfriendly.org!  And
PS and PDF files are a snap now that I've told Lynx to automatically
render them using Ghostscript.

Lynx is also smart enough to figure out if you're using it in X, and
you can specify different commands to render objects depending on
whether you're in X or not.  E.g. use zgv to render graphics on
console and xv to render them in X.

If anyone's interested I can post (or put up on a web page) the
required commands and configurations to help make Lynx your default
browser with no loss of information.

Regards,

- -- Raju