Re: kppp buggy in RH 6.0

Bhyrava Prasad wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     I tried to get kppp working in Chip's Redhat 6.0 Aug version.
> It does not work. Firstly , in the menu , pap and chap are
> reversed (when you are setting up an account). It invokes ppp
> with -chap if you give pap when setting up the account and
> vice versa. Even after choosing chap (the ISP uses PAP) , it
> never connected , with 'no permission to open log file etc'.
> I even made pppd suid. I was running kppp in a non-root
> account. Never faced any such prob is PCQ RH 5.2.

Sorry to be following up my own post, but I now have
some more info. Using the netcfg tool , I added a ppp
interface and that worked
fine. The steps are as documented in

  http://www.insightsol.com/prasadb/vsnlhowto.html

Even then , there were a few errors in /var/log/messages
relating to some ppp modules not being found (don't have
access to the system, so can't post the exact error msgs,
but there was a prev post by Goswami or Khader about it).

Anyway, the errors do not seem to affect the usage. I think
only PPP hdr compression does not work because of these
absent modules.

Chip has also given wvdial in the same CD , but I have
not tried that so far.

Old sendmail.cf from RH5.2 (to which I had made some
customisations) did not work as is on RH 6.0, as some files are no
longer relavant, such as /etc/mail/ip_allow etc. So I needed to
port my changes into the new cf file.

Also , RH has chosen not to install kde in the usual
/opt/kde . I had to change a few aliases/scripts of mine
which used the old path.

Sending this hoping it is of use to someone. Still wish RH had
taken more time before releasing this version. As Atul
pointed out to LWN , they have made updates to about 30% of
this distro!

- - Bhyrav Prasad