Re: Modem gives 'NO DIALTONE'

Two conflicting scenarios:

> Try giving ath1 in init string I hope it will work
> I am also using GVC Modem and it worked in  my case
>
> >keeps on giving me 'NO DIALTONE'.
> >I tried changing the init string to 'ATX1' but to no avail. I am using

Some time ago, there was some discussion on this list in which I had
participated. At that time I had suggested that an init string of ATS6=3
solves the problem of "NO DIALTONE". This increases the time between
raising the handset (metaphorically, since we are talking modems) and
detecting the dialtone.

Many knowledgeable people (with good reason) disagreed with me, since
"Indian" modems cannot detect dialtone anyway. However, I find that for
some un-understandable (to me) reason, setting ATS6=3 *always* works when
you have a "NO DIALTONE" problem. This works with both GVC and D-Link.
ATX1 sometimes does, sometimes doesn't.

May I therefore suggest trying ATS6=3 (Change that to 4,5 or 6 as you
think appropriate for your site)

P.S. The exchange on the "NO DIALTONE" problem including my
     suggestion, happened during the time Atul took a break from the list.
     Now that he is back, might we have some explanation on why ATS6=<num>
     always works.