Re: [linux-delhi] Re: Mantra Online problems

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
=>Raj Mathur proclaimed:
=>> One of the Linux-Delhi subscribers (ashishg IIRC) who has an account
=>> at MantraOnline seems to have exceeded his disk quota, and every
=>> message to the list is bouncing back to me (or perhaps to the
=>> originator) with that error.  I was wondering, what's a good policy
=>> for an ISP to follow when user disk quotas get exceeded?  I find these
=>> error messages quite irritating.
=>
=>In the case of Linux India I go through the bounced messages once a day and
=>use majordomo's bounce command to move these users to the bounce mailing
=>list.  I also have a cron job that sends out a reminder to the users in the
=>bounce mailing list periodically.

I don't think Thaths got the point. It is not how to setup majordomo to
handle bounced messages or what you do with addresses that bounce mails.

It is(if i understand correctly) how to setup mail quotas for users, and
what to do if quota is exceeded ? Monk is that the question ? :)

IMHO the ISP mail server should bounce messages once per list to the
owner-list and then never do it again :)
He can easily find out the list name and from the precedence make out if
it is "Bulk" traffic.

This sort of thing is doable. Even programs like vacation can be
configured not to send the autoreply everytime, if the from address is the
same.

But the worst thing is bouncing mails back to the list :)) which some of
the brain dead mail admins do :)

Regards,
Suman

- --
Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am"
Suman Saraf, http://members.xoom.com/ssaraf, suman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- --